Are you looking for a new fishing challenge? Then consider targeting black drum. These hard-fighting fish are found in coastal waters from Massachusetts to Texas, and they provide a great fight on light tackle. In this article, we’ll provide tips on how to catch black drum. So read on and get ready to go fishing!
Where To Find Them?
Black drum are a popular saltwater fish that can be found in waters along the Atlantic and Gulf coasts. They are known for their tasty flesh and their hard-fighting nature, making them a popular target for both recreational and commercial fishermen.
If you’re looking for black drum, one of the best spots is along the Gulf Coast. Black drum are commonly found in estuaries and bays, where they feed on oysters, shrimp, and other bottom-dwelling creatures. They’re also often found near jetties, piers, and other structures where there is a strong current. Black drum can grow to be quite large, with some individuals reaching up to 100 pounds or more.
Another good place to look for black drum is around shipwrecks or other areas where there is a lot of debris on the bottom. These fish are attracted to the shelter and food that these structures provide.
When Is The Best Time To Catch Black Drum?
While black drum can be caught year-round, there are certain times of year when they are more plentiful and easier to catch. In general, the best time to fish for black drum is during the fall and winter months, when they are migrating into shallower waters in search of food.
During the spring and summer months, black drum will move offshore to spawn. This is not a good time to target them, as they are more difficult to catch and are not as active.
The best time of day to fish for black drum is during the early morning or late evening hours, when they are feeding. They will also bite during the daytime, but they are more difficult to locate in the shallower waters where they tend to feed.
How To Catch Black Drum?
When fishing for black drum, you need to choose the right fishing rod. There are many different types and sizes of rods available, so it’s important to select one that’s appropriate for the type of fish you’re targeting. Here are a few tips to help you choose the best fishing rod for black drum:
1. Black drum are typically found in saltwater, so you’ll need a rod that’s designed for saltwater fishing.
2. Black drum are relatively large fish, so you’ll need a rod that can handle their size. A medium-heavy or heavy-duty rod is ideal.
3. Black drum are bottom feeders, so you’ll need a rod that can reach the bottom of the water column. A longer rod is better for this purpose.
4. Black drum have strong mouths, so you’ll need a rod with a strong backbone. A graphite or fiberglass rod is a good option.
5. Black drum are typically caught using bait, so you’ll need a rod that’s capable of handling baitfish. A medium-heavy or heavy-duty rod is ideal.
When selecting a fishing rod for black drum, it’s important to consider the type of water you’ll be fishing in, the size of the fish you’re targeting, and your own personal preferences.
Black drum fishing is a popular pastime in many areas, and choosing the right fishing reel can make a big difference in your success. Here are some tips on how to choose the best reel for black drum fishing.
The first thing to consider when choosing a reel is the type of fish you plan on targeting. Black drum are relatively large fish, so you’ll need a reel that can handle their size. A baitcasting reel or a spinning reel with a large spool will work well.
Next, consider the type of water you’ll be fishing in. If you’re fishing in saltwater, you’ll need a reel that can withstand the elements. Graphite or aluminum reels are a good choice for saltwater fishing.
Finally, think about your budget. There are many great fishing reels on the market, but they can vary widely in price. Decide how much you’re willing to spend on a reel before you start shopping.
There are a few things to consider when making your selection of fishing line, including:
– The type of fish you’re targeting. Black drum are bottom feeders, so you’ll want to use a heavier line that can stand up to their powerful tugging.
– The size of the fish you’re targeting. Black drum can grow quite large, so you’ll need a line that can handle their weight.
– The type of water you’ll be fishing in. If you’re fishing in saltwater, you’ll need a line that can withstand the corrosive effects of the salt.
– Your budget. Fishing line can be expensive, so you’ll need to decide how much you’re willing to spend.
Once you’ve considered all of these factors, you should have no trouble choosing the perfect fishing line for black drum.
Here are a few tips choose right fishing bait for black drum:
1. Use live or fresh bait whenever possible. Black drum love eating crabs, shrimp, and other small fish. If you can’t find any live or fresh bait, frozen bait will also work.
2. Choose a bait that is the right size. If you’re using live bait, make sure it’s not too big or too small for the black drum you’re trying to catch.
3. Use the right kind of fishing tackle. Black drum are not very good at swallowing bait, so you’ll need to use a hook that’s big enough to keep the bait on.
4. Be patient. Black drum are not very active fish, so it might take them a while to bite. Just keep your line in the water and be patient.
5. Try different baits and techniques until you find what works best for you. There is no one perfect way to catch black drum. Just experiment until you find a method that works for you.
The next time you are out fishing for black drum, keep these tips in mind to help increase your chances of success. These techniques have been proven to work, so put them into practice and see how well they work for you. Who knows? You may just be the next person to land a big black drum using one or more of these tactics.